Saturday

Pasta with Salmon, Asparagus, Sun Dried Tomato, Capers and Feta Cheese

Very often I am rummaging around in my freezer and pantry...knowing that I have a few more days to make things work before we get paid.
I can not stress enough to get your pantry stocked with a few basics, and then use this sight to inspire yourself or give you a  whole new idea for a new recipe...
Most things I make are almost entirely from something I find on sale, unless I am having a week with a planned menu where I will buy things geared for those dishes.
I do both depending on my schedule and creativity levels!
Menu weeks are weeks where I don't want to think at all about what I am going to make, the flip side....shopping sales and making what I can out of what I buy which is typically when I am  needing to stretch the money a bit more...
This next dish is a "gotta make it work with what I have" dish, and we were all, including the kids, thrilled with how it turned out! My husband picked up the Asparagus and Feta for me, but I had everything else on hand.

Feeds 6

Ingredients

4 individually frozen salmon fillets

20 or 25 baby asparagus spears cut into 1 inch pieces
(See Cooking Class 1  under "How To Video's" if your not sure how to do this)

1 Tsp of Capers
4 Tbs of thinly sliced sun dried tomatoes and a splash of the oil they come in..
4 to 6 oz fresh feta cheese
4 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup of dry white wine
 2 tsp Sea salt
 1 tsp Crushed red pepper
2 Tsp Marjoram
2 Tsp Basil
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
 1/2 a stick Salted Butter ( About 4 Tbs )
Water from your pasta that is cooking, about 1 cup
2 Pounds of Pasta (any kind) I used fettuccine for this dish
Fresh Feta


Prepare

* Put the water for your pasta in a big pot and throw in a splash of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt into the water, turn on high, cover and allow to boil
* Put a splash of olive oil and your minced garlic into a very large saute pan on medium and start browning your garlic, allowing it to get all it's lovely flavor into the olive oil..
* Add your pasta to the boiling water and turn down to medium heat
* Add your salmon (still frozen!!!) into the pan and add 1/2 of your white wine, sun dried tomato and capers to the pan and cover.. flip your fillet over after about 3 minutes
*Add your spices
* Add your asparagus, the rest of your wine, about 1/2 cup of the water from your pasta and the rest of your butter.. cover and turn heat to low
* Drain your pasta and then add to your saute pan, mix really well and again cover and leave for about 3 minutes
* Place your pasta onto a plate and then crumble some Feta cheese on the top. Add Sea salt and crushed red pepper if desired...

4 comments:

Sally said...

Hi, Greetings from Ireland! I completely agree about the importance of cooking with what you have in your fridge, I'm all for judicious substitutions, and this looks like a handy recipe, thanks!

Mike said...

Where do you get your ingredients like your feta and salmon?

BTW, a great looking recipe!

Gourmet Cooking On A Dime said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gourmet Cooking On A Dime said...

Thanks for your comments !!
I would recommend doing a price check for the Feta at your bigger grocery stores, or a " Trader Joe's" if you have it would be the way to go... it comes in tubs or packages with brine to keep it fresh and runs between $4 to $6 but should give you a couple servings...
I got this recipes frozen( always fresh when its frozen! ), individually wrapped salmon at the Walmart, but would also say that Costco does them frozen as well and if you have alittle more to spend can go for the wild,organic kind....hope this helps!

Serving sizes and this sight.....

As many of you have come to realize, I am usually making huge amounts of food and alot of times for more than just my family. However, I would be horrified to think that someone who was living alone, or with only a couple people in their home would feel discouraged about this..
Simply use division for most of these recipes if they are too big. With the exception of baking, which requires a fair amount of science, these recipes can be adjusted and modified with ease! And if you feel stuck, either leave me a comment or email me and I will try to respond to you as soon as I can.
Thanks fellow foodies, hope you eat something yummy today and enjoy the fact that you didn't spend lots of money at a high end restaurant!

Enjoy! I love to hear from you all!

Rebecca Turrigiano

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails